Family of Four

Family of Four

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Not Another Rubber Chicken Dinner

Last night at Body Back I overheard a couple of the girls talking about getting sick of having the same old chicken and veggies every night. That reminded me of a really good buffalo chicken recipe that is not only delicious, but super easy too. So, of course, I butted into the conversation and shared my tasty twist on boring chicken. This made me realize that I have been TOTALLY slacking on the healthy recipe front and I need to refocus on healthy cooking/eating. 

I found, and made, so many great recipes before we move and really felt like I was getting the hang of that traditional stay-at-home mom, have dinner ready on the table thing. Then we had our quick-as-lightening move (seriously 3 weeks to pack an entire house?!? What were we thinking?) Well, I never got back into that house wife mode after we settled and totally gave into the out to eat and picking up dinner on the way home habits I was accustomed to before. Well it's time to get back on track, starting today. So here are a few of my favorite recipes, including the aforementioned buffalo chicken recipe - because I have a serious love for hot wings. 

Buffalo Chicken Wings

This recipe comes from one of my favorite Instagram accounts, Fantastically Fit. This popped up in my Instagram feed just when I was having a crazy craving for some hot wings. I decided to give it a try and it certainly did not disappoint. Serve with some salt and pepper butternut squash, like I did below, or go more traditional with some celery and carrots. 

Ingredients:

  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenders
  • Oat Bran
  • Onion Powder
  • Garlic Powder
  • Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce, Buffalo Flavor

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a bowl, mix oat bran, onion powder and garlic powder
  3. In a separate bowl, pour buffalo wing sauce (to coat chicken)
  4. Dip chicken tenders in buffalo wing sauce, covering all sides
  5. Dip covered tenders in oat bran mixture
  6. Bake on baking sheet for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly
  7. Once cooked, drizzle buffalo sauce over chicken strips (for added flavor)*
*The original recipe does not call for this, but I prefer to eat/serve mine with a little extra kick.


Mustard Lime Chicken

I actually discovered this recipe right after we moved in to the new house and I had very little in the fridge to make a proper dinner. I googled mustard, lime and chicken, because I had all three and this recipe, from Elana's Pantry came up. It was delicious! As you an see, I served it with green beans and black beans - my two favorite go-to side dishes. Hint - the green beans from Costco are delicious and tend to keep their nice green flavor much better than the other green beans I have tried. 


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken
  • 1/4 cup Dihon Mustard
  • 1/2 cup Lime Juice
  • 1 tbs Olive Oil
  • 1/2 cup Chopped Cilantro
  • 1 tbs Chili Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Sea Salt

Method:

  1. Combine and blend lime juice, mustard, olive oil, cilantro, pepper and salt
  2. Rinse, dry and place chicken in 7x11 baking dish
  3. Pour marinade over chicken, cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to 6 hours
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes

POJO Chicken

So, the original name is not POJO Chicken, but I took my inspiration from my good friend, Liz who owns POJO Fitness, thus, POJO Chicken. As you can see, I served it up with some lemon spinach and brown rice.



Ingredients:

  • 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (pounded thin)
  • 1 Laughing Cow Cream Cheese Wedge
  • 1 tbs Mustard
  • 1 tbs Minced Garlic
  • 1 pinch of Pepper
  • Artichoke Hearts (in a jar - I get the water-based, not oil)
  • Roasted Red Peppers (in a jar - I get the water-based, not oil)

Method:

  1. Mix cream cheese, mustard, minced garlic, and pepper
  2. Chop and add artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers (as much as you want)
  3. Spread cream cheese blend on one side of chicken 
  4. Roll up chicken* and place in a baking dish
  5. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until fully cooked

*I didn't pound my chicken thin enough, so I just topped the chicken with the spread and cooked as an open-faced entree.

5-Ingredient Chicken Medley

This final bit of deliciousness comes from Busy Girls Eat Clean. The fact that something so delicious can contain just 5 simple ingredients blows my mind*. In fact, most of their recipes are quick and easy, so you should check out their Instagram page for some lazy day dinner ideas. And see ... green beans, the go-to :)

Ingredients:

  • 2 Medium Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 1/4 cup Artichoke Hearts, diced
  • 1/2 cup Mushrooms, diced
  • 3/4 tbs Minced Garlic
  • 1 Sweet Potato, diced

Method:

  1. Season chicken to your liking (I tend to go simple with oregano, parsley, garlic powder and onion powder)
  2. Cook sweet potato (I use the microwave method)
  3. While sweet potatoes cook, bake chicken at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
  4. Dice cooked chicken and cooked sweet potato
  5. Saute artichoke, mushrooms and minced garlic until golden brown.
  6. Add chicken and sweet potatoes and stir on low for a few additional minutes.

*The original recipe did not call for sweet potatoes, I added it in to give the medley a little kick of flavor as well as include a starch with my meal (and I thought it'd be more fun than just having a side of sweet potatoes).


Now ... which one should I make for dinner tonight?!? Decisions, decisions. Hope you enjoy this tasty little round up! If you try any, let me know what you think! And I especially love to know how you modify recipes to make them your own! Oh and if you snap a picture for Instagram and Facebook, tag me and don't forget the hashtag #365healthychoices

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...